Deadline: November 23, 2022
Applications for the Our Ocean Youth Leadership Summit 2023 are now open. The sixth Our Ocean Youth Leadership Summit is an integral part of the Our Ocean Conference, taking place in Panama from February 27 to March 1, 2023. Sustainable Ocean Alliance is proud to co-host the summit, in cooperation with Our Ocean Conference. organizers.
This event is an opportunity to inspire, inform and empower young participants to develop holistic solutions that better balance the needs of society, industry and the ocean environment. In 2023, the Summit will be fully integrated into the main conference for the first time ever and will embody the overarching theme – Our Ocean, Our Connection.
The objectives of the Summit are to:
- Engage young leaders as a key driver of change
- Developing technological solutions capable of dealing with the greatest threats facing our planet
- Promote intergenerational cooperation
The summit will be a traditional hackathon-style event, where 100 young ocean leaders will come together in small teams. With guidance from expert mentors, they will work to solve key ocean challenges across 6 impact areas:
- Climate change
- marine pollution
- Marine Security
- Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)
- Sustainable blue economy
- Sustainable fishing
During the event, these young leaders will have opportunities for experiential learning, skill development and networking. Programming will be delivered in English, with simultaneous translation into Spanish.
- Participants will not pay for their flights. The organizers of Sustainable Ocean Alliance (SOA) and Our Ocean Conference will work with a travel agent to book flights on your behalf. Flights will be booked directly and you won’t have to pay and then get reimbursed. Selected attendees will receive an email from Our Ocean Conference organizers on December 22, 2022 with the travel details needed to book their flights.
- Participants will not pay for their accommodation and will stay in the same hotel in a twin or triple room between February 27, 2023 and March 4, 2023.
- If you need a visa to travel to Panama, they can provide you with a visa letter. However, they will not cover any visa related costs.
- Applicants must be problem solvers, sustainability champions, students or young professionals and be between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Applicants must have an interest in sustainability and help solve the world’s greatest challenges: ocean acidification, marine pollution, habitat destruction and overfishing, to name a few .
- Candidates from all countries are eligible.
Entrants will complete an online application form and will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Background – the extent to which an applicant’s area of professional or academic interest is relevant to the themes of the conference.
- Impact – the extent to which the nominee’s idea solves a real problem in the ocean sector and would bring overall benefits to society.
- Feasibility – the degree of realism of the commitment/idea/solution proposed.
- Scalability – how can the idea be adapted to new markets and/or new industries.
- Enthusiasm – how much passion and enthusiasm is shown in the application.
- Vision – the extent to which the commitment aligns with the goals and values of the Sustainable Ocean Alliance (SOA) and Our Ocean Conference. Also, how forward-thinking is the proposed commitment/idea/solution?
- English proficiency – the candidate’s ability to articulate an idea in English
- Leadership – the candidate demonstrates strong communication skills and leadership potential.
- Impact on the ocean – the level of interest and commitment to sustainability as it relates to ocean health.
Applications close November 23 at 11:59 p.m. PST and selected entrants will be notified by December 21.
Click here to apply
For more information, see the FAQ and visit Our Ocean Youth Leadership Summit.