This Thanksgiving Season of Sharing, Help Those Who Struggle

0

With the holiday season here, many are looking for ways to help those in need. The Chronicle’s Season of Sharing Fund has helped over 160,000 individuals and families in the Bay Area.

Over the past 36 years, the Season of Sharing Fund has distributed $177 million to help Bay Area residents with critical needs, including families with dependent children, people with disabilities, veterans, victims of domestic violence and emancipated adoptive youth in transition.

In these times, with inflation for basic items soaring and COVID-19 continuing to strain our workforce, this support is more important than ever. Data shows nearly 1 in 5 families in the Bay Area have less than $400 in savings. In a crisis, no one should have to choose between medicine, rent or groceries.

“Along with the rising cost of food, gas and other essentials, we know that many of our neighbors are also struggling to keep up with rising rents,” said Kevin Swanson, executive director of The Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund. “A disruption to their livelihoods – such as a layoff or absence from work due to illness – can have a cascading effect on their lives and, devastatingly, lead to homelessness and hunger. . Many of the working families we serve are one missed paycheck away from crises disrupting their lives. Something unexpected today can derail the possibilities of tomorrow. We strive to keep people’s hopes alive.

Thanks to dedicated donors, this year the Season of Sharing Fund has helped keep nearly 5,000 families in their homes and provided 5 million meals to those who are hungry.

“Our clients’ ability to persevere and get back on their feet is fueled in part by the generosity of our Bay Area community,” Swanson said.

As in previous years, 85% of Sharing Season disbursements go to housing and basic needs assistance, while the remaining 15% is split among food banks in the nine Bay Area counties. To date this year, $151 million has been distributed to 150 homelessness prevention partner organizations, and $28 million has been donated to food banks. In turn, these food banks provide life-saving care; the San Francisco-Marin Food Bank, for example, provides weekly groceries to 50,000 families.

“As the homelessness crisis continues unabated, Season of Sharing provides a lifeline for members of our community at risk of losing their homes,” said Emilio Garcia-Ruiz, editor of The Chronicle. “I am always warmed by the generosity of Chronicle readers who, each year, make it one of the nation’s most successful media-sponsored charities. I expect that to continue again this year.

The Chronicle and the Evelyn and Walter Haas Jr. Fund cover all operating costs for the program, allowing 100% of your donations to go directly to helping those in need.

To learn more or to donate to the fund, visit www.seasonofsharing.org.

This comment is from The Chronicle editorial board. We invite you to express your views in a letter to the editor. Please submit your letter via our online form: SFChronicle.com/letters.

Share.

Comments are closed.