The Tu Cuentas! Cine Youth Fest (¡TÚ22! Film Festival) is now open for its second annual festival celebrating the vision of budding Latino filmmakers.
Presented by HITN-TV, ¡TÚ22! Film Festival promotes the work of young, emerging Latino creators in front of and behind the camera, providing them with an online space in which to showcase their stories.
Offering young aspiring filmmakers the opportunity to showcase their worldview and efforts for a more inclusive film industry, this film festival allows attendees to connect with a network of Latino role models who have broken down barriers for diverse communities. , while paving the way for new generations of Latino creatives.
“We have seen an increase in the popularity and visibility of Latino/a stories at the national media level. Latino-focused movies like “Coco,” “Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go” and “In the Heights,” as well as movies with a Latino/a protagonist like “Beatriz at Dinner” and the recently released ‘Hustle’ showed that our stories are both powerful and popular,” Luis Alejandro Molina, ¡TÚ22! film festival director, said in a statement.
To be part of ¡TÚ22!, works of fiction or non-fiction, in English or Spanish, must feature a Latino/a in a position of creative leadership in front of or behind the camera.
This year’s focus, for stories up to 30 minutes in length, is representation. Entrants must complete and submit their work using one of these 4 themes:
- Get Involved: Engagement-focused films showing people actively participating in improving the world around them.
- Prosperity: Films that define success or highlight the obstacles that prevent it.
- Collaboration: Films highlighting the power of working together, showing what can be achieved when people come together and support each other.
- Wellness: Films that explore the importance of self-care – nurturing mind, body, soul and community to live a fulfilling life.
According to figures socialized by the festival organization, a survey by the Latino Donor Collaborative indicates that Latinos make up only 5.5% of all media, despite making up nearly 20% of the US population.
For his part, Molina pointed out, “Latinos remain vastly underrepresented in the filmmaking community. Although Latinos buy 30% of all box office tickets, they have starring roles in less than 5% of all movies. Our goal with ¡TÚ22! Film Festival is to change that by giving young people a place to share their vision and tell their stories to a wider audience – and repeat our mantra – representation matters.
- Registrations will be accepted to participate in the festival until September 11, 2022,
- The festival will run from October 9-16, 2022, capping Hispanic Heritage Month.
- The film selection of ¡TÚ22! Film Festival will be announced on October 7, 2022 and will screen on CineYouthFest.org and the HITN GO app from October 9-16, 2022.
The registration fees are structured as follows:
- Early Bird ticket: Free from July 10 to 30, 2022
- Standard ticket: $20 presentation fee from July 31 to August 20, 2022
- Late registration: $25 application fee from August 21 to September 11, 2022
- Winners will be selected solely by the judges.
- Films must be 30 minutes or less.
- All film genres, including documentary, drama, animation, comedy, and storytelling, are eligible.
- Only films completed after January 1, 2019 are eligible for this festival.
An independent jury will evaluate the participating films based on various factors, including knowledge of the subject; creativity in the approach to the theme; technical aspects such as directing, acting, cinematography and editing; and the inspirational and narrative impact of the piece.
Judges will select three winners from a pool of finalists. The prizes are $4,000 for the grand prize; $2,000 for second prize; and $1,000 for third prize.
The ¡TÚ22! Film Festival is presented in collaboration with Northeastern Illinois University, Roberto Clemente Community Academy, Philadelphia Latino Film Festival, Centro – Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College, NALIP, Frank Sinatra High School, Manhattan Neighborhood Network, St. Francis College and the University of Houston.
To register for ¡TÚ22! Film Festival, visit CineYouthFest.org or Filmfreeway.
HITN-TV is a leading Spanish-language media company that offers educational and cultural programs for the whole family. It reaches over 40 million homes in the United States and Puerto Rico.